Saturday, July 17, 2010

New starts and other common themes of my life

I was a little hesitant to start a blog, especially one about anything fitness-related, since let's face it, I can't brag about the best performance record in this area. Now this isn't to say that I'm not into fitness. Quite the contrary, I own an extensive collection of all things fitness-related. DVDs, dumbbells, treadmill, pull-up bar (despite the fact I have never once managed an unassisted pull-up in my life), treadmill and the latest addition of my very own spinning bike that has been used maybe six whole times in the six months I've owned it. Oh, and we shouldn't forget the two gym memberships I have either. I must say, I actually do enjoy exercise I just can't seem to settle down and work towards a goal without being whisked away by the next bright and shiny new toy or class that comes my way.

So, as our family sat together on the couch eating yummy New Year's Eve appetizers, it wasn't all that surprising that the reaction was one of "Oh, really?" when I declared that this year I planned to become a runner. My youngest son even went so far as to declare, "But Mom, you aren't very fast." Did I mention he's quite the little observer? So, I set out with a goal of doing a 5K, because let's face it I was no runner and I figured that everyone has to start somewhere. And so in March, as the gun went off, something strange happened. I turned to my friend that I had come to walk with and said, "I think I'm going to try to run for a little bit." Now, I didn't set any records (or run all the way to the finish line for that matter) but something did happen. I liked it.

Later this spring, I listened to someone talking about the half-marathon she had run and I decided that I wanted to try it. Of course, it took me another couple of months to really recognize that I would have to get serious about scheduling some "me time" if this was going to work, but I'm finally getting there. I've done two more 5Ks, and while I'm not setting any speed records, I love the atmosphere of the race and have been soaking up any books and information about running I can find. A work in progress. So far the journey is really bringing some positive changes into my life. And it's only the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment