Sunday, March 20, 2011

Back In The Game

I had almost forgotten about this little blog that I started last summer, until I recently started revisiting the running blogs of some other very inspirational ladies. It was fun to go back and read about my enthusiasm and determination to really embrace running. I ended up running into (ha, no pun intended) some medical issues last year that pretty much sidelined me until after Thanksgiving. Of course, by then I had fully entered into that lazy state that is so easy to maintain during the cold days of winter. Even the new year with all the lure of setting a resolution didn't help. I finally decided enough was enough back around the first part of February though, and I'm happy to report I'm back on my journey for living my best, healthy life. It's been a bit of a reality check to essentially start over from scratch, but I'm finally making peace with that and just happy to be back in the game.

Coincidentally, my first race of the season is next Saturday and happens to be the very same race that was my first 5K ever. I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with friends that are now racing for the first time. I also have something new looming in my future...an obstacle mud run. I'm signed up for the 10K Mud Run for MS in St. Louis on May 7th and also a 5K Mud Run to support the military in June. I won't lie...I'm a bit intimidated because I've never thought of myself as much of an athlete and these are definitely athletic events. But, I also strongly believe that it is high time to stop thinking of myself in terms of "what I am not" and instead finding out just who I am. It's a great way to step out of my comfort zone.

I'm also hoping to find some local running partners soon. While my dog has been an amazing running partner, I think it's time I start working on cultivating some healthy friendships with others that are looking to lead a healthy lifestyle. I know they are out there! I've recently started following the group Moms Run This Town (MRTT) on Facebook and am now thinking it's time to think about a southern Illinois branch. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay Cris!!! The mud run sounds like so much fun! So glad you are part of our group - we will find you some non-canine running friends ;)

    ReplyDelete